There’s a number of detailed articles that discuss upgrading to Genesis Framework 2.0. However most of them describe so many details and justifications as to “why” you should upgrade, the actual steps to upgrade can be hard to find. This short article skips all of these details, and simply lists the steps to upgrade your Genesis Framework and child theme to version 2.0.
Steps to upgrade to Genesis Framework 2.0
- Backup your current Genesis Framework and child theme directories.
- Download Genesis Framework 2.0 (Member Downloads) and copy it to your themes directory.
Make the required changes to your child theme
- Modify your CSS files to use HTML5 markup instead of XHTML. See “Genesis HTML5 Markup.”
- Change all pre-HTML5 loop hooks to the new HTML5 loop hooks. See “Genesis HTML5 Loop Hooks.”
- To enable Genesis HTML5 support, add the following to functions.php:
//* Add HTML5 markup structure add_theme_support( 'html5' );
Aside from using Firebug or other developer tools to see what you might have missed, you can try the following:
- Go to Genesis > Theme Settings and click on “Save Settings.”
- Switch to another theme, and then switch back to your child theme.
- Clear your browser cache.
- Clear your WordPress cache.
- Genesis Visual Markup Guide
- 11 Essential Resources About the Upcoming Genesis 2.0 That We Think You’ll Enjoy